Professional Speaker Series of August 2017 – JOHN WALKER, Vice Chairman of Macquarie Capital, Asia
JOHN WALKER, VICE CHAIRMAN OF MACQUARIE CAPITAL, ASIA
- Vice Chairman, Macquarie Capital, Asia
- Executive Chairman of Infrastructure, Utilities and Renewables Asia for Macquarie Capital
- Chairman, Macquarie Group of Companies, Korea / Chairman, Macquarie Projects Limited
- Director, Macquarie International Limited / Director, Macquarie (Japan) Limited
- Chairman, InfraCo Asia Development Pte. Ltd / Deputy Chairman, Australia Korea Business Council
- Chairman, Australian Taekwondo / Treasurer, World Taekwondo Federation
- Chairman, Odyssey Water GP Limited / Chairman, Odyssey Water GP Partners Ltd.
Chairman, Asia Power Development Platform Pte. Ltd. / Chairman, Asia Power Development Platform Investment Manager Pte. Ltd.
- John is currently Vice Chairman of Macquarie Capital, Asia in addition to Executive Chairman of Infrastructure Utilities and Renewables for Asia for Macquarie Capital and also Chairman of Macquarie Group of Companies, Korea. He has lived and worked in Asia since 2000.
- In 2000, John established Macquarie’s Korean business with only five staff. It now comprises 12 businesses with 7 funds and as at April 2017 has a total value of assets invested of approximately $A32 billion in Korea and internationally. Macquarie Korea is now a leader in the infrastructure sector and a top ranking advisor and broker in Korea. Macquarie, under John’s leadership, was a trailblazer in developing the private infrastructure industry in Korea. Macquarie is now one of the largest foreign asset managers in Korea and the leading foreign investment bank.
- More broadly in Asia under John’s leadership Macquarie is a leading advisor and has a rapidly growing investment presence, with pan Asia and country specific funds across a range of developed and developing markets in the area of development capital.
- Much of John’s success in building businesses has been based on establishing relationships across the spectrum of corporates, financial institutions and Governments.
- More recently John has lead the establishment of a number of new infrastructure platforms in Asia where Macquarie capital is a significant investor.
- He is regularly consulted by Government’s in the Asian region on approaches to improving infrastructure development and management.
- Prior to moving to Asia in 2000, John was based in Australia as Global Head of Government Business for Macquarie’s Investment Banking Group. Previously he was Executive Vice President at Bankers Trust, after making the transition from the public sector where he held a number of Chief Executive positions in Australia.
- John began his government career in 1973 which culminated in the roles of Director General of Transport in the State of NSW and Chief Executive of the Chief Minister’s Dept in the Australia Capital Territory Government. In both these roles he introduced significant reforms enhancing the connectivity between the private and Government sectors.
- John is a Permanent Resident of the Republic of Korea and was also made an Honorary Citizen in 2009. He was also the first foreigner to be appointed as a director of the Korea Securities Dealers Association. He is also a Permanent Resident of Hong Kong.
- John has published two popular children books, ‘Ura’s World’ in April 2009 and ‘Ura’s Dream’ in October 2010 and has donated all proceeds to environmental organizations throughout Asia. These donations have been matched by the Macquarie Foundation. He is also a singer songwriter and released a music album ’12 Bridges’ in 2015 with sales being donated to Philippine Red Cross to support Typhoon Yolanda victims. He has recently released another album called “Rain Dreaming” with proceeds to support children in refugee camps. This album includes a special theme song for the Taekwondo Humanitarian Foundation called “Flying Butterflies”.
- John has an Honours degree in politics from the University of New England.
- Member of the Order of Australia (Equivalent to a Knighthood in the British System) in 1999 for services to economic reform and contribution to the design of the transportation plan for the Sydney Olympics 2000.
- The Korean President’s citation as “Excellent Contributor in Foreign Direct Investment Inflow” in 2004, acknowledging Macquarie’s contribution to Korea’s financial sector.
- Award for Corporate Social Responsibility from Asia Economic Daily sponsored by the
- Financial Supervisory Service in Korea in 2006.
In 2009 a citation from the Chairman of the Financial Services Commission recognizing John’s contribution to promotion of Korea’s Capital Market and support to the Korea Financial Hub Project and in 2010 a citation from Prime Minister in recognition of his contribution to Korea industry development through foreign investment promotion. In 2012 a citation from the Governor of Financial Supervisory Service recognizing his excellent commitment and contribution to the advancement of Korea’s financial sector.